OK, so you’re a Mom.
Which means that when you’re exhausted (which is likely to hit you almost daily), you can’t just lay down and have a sleep. If you get the chance, by all means take it! But for the majority of us, finding enough energy and shifting our mindset from ‘WHY CAN’T I JUST SLEEP!?!? Mum-voice’ to our ‘patient-Mum’ voice, and to do so with a smile, can sometimes feel a bit, err, challenging…
When I feel like this, these are a few ways I get out of the rut, and onto adventure (or at least the laundry pile!)
- EAT SOMETHING NOURISHING. On days I’m in a funk, it can often be because I didn’t start it with a healthy breakfast. Sure, coffee made it into me – thats a non-negotiable – but somehow in the morning rush of getting the kids sorted, I forgot myself. This is easily fixed with a protein-packed smoothie – my favorite blend includes avocado, spinach, banana, almond milk, Juice Plus Vanilla Complete mix, and ice. If I don’t have any Complete mix left, just the first four ingredients will do it!
- GET DRESSED. When I start out exhausted, its tempting to just stay in my PJ’s all day. But then the kids start to go feral, and I remember that lounging around the house with a 4 and 2 year old isn’t exactly relaxing. Nope, not at all. Its like they sense that its what I want to do, so not even Frozen will keep them still or stop the whinging! Not only does getting dressed motivate me to be productive, it might even motivate me to go to the park. Or at least, preps me for a potential playdate. Bonus points if you get dressed in active wear 😉 just in case you get out for some exercise! Which leads me to point 3…
- DO A BURST OF EXERCISE. A dance party to the Wiggles. Frog Jumps with your kids in the living room. Smash through the vacuuming. Get outdoors and into the garden. Go for a run around the block with the pram. Head to the park. IT ALL COUNTS LADIES! Your heart will start pumping, the oxygen will get into your muscles & brain, your circulation will increase, and the endorphins (AKA those ‘happy hormones’ will start flowing. Bring it ON.
- CRANK THE MUSIC. Not the kids music. YOUR music. Something that instantly makes you smile, or remember a happy time from ‘back in the day’ before kids. Something that you can’t help but get a little groove on to, or sing out loud to!
- MEDITATE. If just for 3 minutes, take it. I have a favourite Energy Inducing meditation which I use daily, which I’ve written about in my blog post HERE. Read on, attempt to find a quiet space, and visualise yourself on a desert island…ommmmmmm….and let your energy rise!
The next time you feel like you simply cannot get going, or find yourself wondering if another coffee (or early wine-time) will really fix your problems, try one of the above tips instead. Heck, if its that bad of a day, try them ALL!
Your body, mind, and baby will thank you.